Thursday, July 28, 2005

Conspicuously Caucasian

In both trips this year to Singapore, I had the eerie sense of sticking out like a sore thumb -- I was conspicuously Not From Around Here. In most of the other places I've traveled, I could, with a little effort, blend in with the natives. In Europe or Australia, if I dress like the natives, I look like a native. Of course, as soon as I open my mouth, I'm a goner, but I can quietly blend. Not in Singapore! I am obviously not from the neighborhood.

I don't mind being different (I certainly was in high school, and I was from the neighborhood). However, in Singapore, I'm a target for all sorts of commerce attempts. I can't walk past a store front, even in the tony parts of town, without someone trying to sell me something. I'm not only conspicuously Caucasian, I'm American, and therefore both gullible and rich! I can't get the locals price around here for anything. Just another example of how travel broadens you, and why I like travel so much because it provides perspective.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the best in music psp software transfer visit online stores for DVD Software Players that offer quality audio playback on the PC.

Anonymous said...

Add tons of new subscribers to your newsletter automatically using this amazing package of proven software solutions.internet softwareinternet software

The Computer Guys said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a speed up computer performancespeed up computer performance site/blog. It pretty much covers speed up computer performance Problems with your Windows Xp Computing !
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Global Names said...

Looks good your blog!.
I am sure that your blog page looks great to me which mean looking crowded so, My site - open event during one month domain name registration information.
http://www.globalnames.com You better check it out some time.

Global Names said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a free domain registration hosting site. You better check it out some time.

TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

cheap in internet law london schoolGreetings! I have to say that I'm quite impressed that your blog ranks so highly for cheap in internet law london school . Because it does (And I'm wacky like that) I thought it might be beneficial to point out this resource for cheap in internet law london school